Gardening Volunteer, Throughout Northern Ireland
We are searching for green-fingered enthusiasts with a passion for all things gardening! This is an ideal opportunity for someone training to be a professional gardener and would like to develop their experience or for an experienced gardener who would love to have the opportunity to share their enthusiasm and skills.
How you will make an impact
As one of our Gardening Volunteers you will have the opportunity to:
- Motivate clients to participate in gardening activities and in doing so promote positive mental wellbeing and reduce social isolation.
- Support clients to develop confidence and increase their self-esteem in a welcoming and supportive environment.
- Assist clients to learn and develop gardening skills including how to grow fresh produce.
- Plan and grow flower beds and vegetable planters.
- Assist clients in the development and maintenance of a green space which everyone in the project can enjoy.
We’re with you every step of the way
As a Simon Community NI volunteer, you’ll receive excellent ongoing support from a supervisor, our Volunteer Coordinator and existing volunteers. Before beginning your volunteering, you will receive a full induction and any necessary training, ensuring you feel a valuable member of the team from the start.
In addition to this you will also have the opportunity to:
- Be part of a team dedicated to ending homelessness.
- Enhance your CV by using and developing your interpersonal and communication skills
- Receive out of pocket expenses as outlined in our Volunteer Expenses Policy.
The skills and personality we are looking for
- Enthusiasm and passion for gardening
- Some experience of gardening is essential
- Motivation to support individuals who are experiencing homelessness
- An empathetic and non-judgemental outlook
- The ability to work in a team but also able to think on your feet
- Good communication and timekeeping skills
- Able to work with people who may present with complex needs
- Open to learning
We are looking for someone who would be available for one session per week (2 – 3-hours), ideally for one year. There is flexibility for this role and we can discuss this further with you.
We would also ask that you commit to the following:
- Demonstrate Simon Community NI values of being non-judgmental and client-led.
- Willingness to attend supervision and training to develop you further in your volunteer role.
- Operate within all relevant Simon Community NI policies and guidelines, including safeguarding, health and safety, equal opportunities and confidentiality.
Essential checks we will need to complete with you
When you apply to volunteer with us, we will need to process some routine pre-volunteering checks. These will include an Enhanced Access NI check (free for all volunteers). For us to complete the check we will ask you to provide relevant documentation at your interview.
You will also be asked to provide two satisfactory references. Please note that unfortunately we cannot accept references from family members, or partners.
Ready to apply?
You can apply for this role online following the link below. Please make sure you complete all sections of your application form, giving as much detail as you can.
When you submit your application, we will be in touch with you with information on the next steps. If you experience any problems with your application, please get in touch with us via email or phone.
We look forward to receiving your application.
https://www.simoncommunity.org/get-involved/volunteer or contact our Volunteer Coordinator via [email protected]
Rebekah McDonald, Volunteer Coordinator
25 - 27 Franklin Street