At Mencap we work in partnership with children and adults with a learning disability. We do this by providing high-quality, flexible services that support children, young people and adults to live full and active lives as part of their community. We also provide advice and guidance to parents who would like to gain additional information on learning disability.
An extremely rare and exciting opportunity has arisen to join our Children, Young People & Families team in Northern Ireland. We are looking for a Community Based Adviser to join us on a fixed term contract (maternity cover) to work 22.5 hours per week.
The successful candidate will cover Southern Trust area of NI and you could be working in Armagh one day and Newry the next. There is the facility to hot desk in our offices in Newry when required but the focus of the post will be working from Child development clinics, community centres, schools and in people’s own homes, for this reason working from home may be a posiibility.
The Community Based Adviser will provide access to a range of information, advice and support about learning disability issues. In this role you will work with children and young people from 0 – 18 and their families to provide information and ongoing support as and when required. Providing appropriate, accurate and timely advice and information that assists in addressing problems and difficulties children and their families may face is a key function of the role.
We are looking for a strong communicator with the ability to provide accurate advice, this will vary dependent on the person we are supporting, you could be giving advice on Benefits, Welfare rights, DLA OR PIP and and a range of subject matters that effect children OR young people with a learning disability and their families including education, respite, equipment grants and resource identification.
Key Skills and Experiences:
- Mechanisms including statutory, voluntary and governmental that affect social policy and social care is essential
- Strong understanding and working knowledge of welfare rights and the benefits system that effect children with a learning disability is essential
- Understanding of community development work and group dynamics would be beneficial
- Experience of directly working with people with a learning disability / their families would be highly desirable
- Proven track record of establishing networks with a range of individuals and organisations would be beneficial
- Experience of organising events and managing resources is essential
- A full drivers licence will be required for this role
*Please see attached job description for some more detailed information on the role and the key requirements
Does this sound like you…??
If the answer is yes, then we would love to hear from you today…
Click the “Apply” button to register your interest and submit your application to being your Mencap journey. Please ensure you provide us with a BESPOKE CV and a covering letter stating why you have applied for this position.
We believe that all employees are amazing and we wouldn't be able to achieve what we do without them. Here are just some of the ways we would value and invest in you.
- Generous holiday (including bank holidays) increasing to 35 days with long service plus the ability to buy up to another 10 days via our HolidayPlus scheme*
- Amazing Induction from day 1
- Access to award winning training and development
- Service related sick pay when 6 month probation is completed
- Eligibility to join Mencap Pension Plan where Mencap matches contributions upto 5% on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings*
- Membership of Mencap Pension Plan to include up to 3 times salary death in service live cover AND Income Protection of 50% salary to be triggered at 26 weeks of long term sickness*
- Tax free child care vouchers via salary sacrifice scheme for working parents
- Loans for bikes, computers and phones when you have been with us for 6 months
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Discounts and cashback from 3% to 30% at high street shops including major super markets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencapextras
- Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
- Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
- Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
*T&C's apply based on contract