Drink Wise, Age Well aims to support health and social care providers and community organisations to recognise and respond to problems caused by alcohol in people aged 50 and over.
In recent times, we have seen an increase in alcohol-related harm in our older population. Despite perceptions, this is not just an issue for younger people. Alcohol problems can go undetected even though older adults are just as likely as any other age group to make positive behaviour changes.
We offer a range of training programmes for community/voluntary organisations, frontline staff, students and Trust staff in which the following topics are presented;
- Looking at the over 50’s
- Alcohol basics – units and measures
- Impact of alcohol
- Alcohol and medication
- Supporting the over 50’s who drink
- Barriers and attitudes towards the over 50’s who drink
- Life transitions in the over 50’s
- Identifying and responding to alcohol in the over 50’s – bringing up the conversation
- Motivational Interviewing
- Hints and tips to reduce
- Signposting for support in your area
All participants are provided with training manuals and additional information. Certificates are awarded on completion of the training.
Please note – this project is only available to the Western Trust area
For more information, please contact Anita Doonan at Drink Wise Age Well.