Family Support Service is a tailored service providing help to families when a significant adult is diagnosed with cancer including supporting them to write a Memory Book for their children.
This opportunity will be based at Cancer Focus Northern Ireland – 40-44 Eglantine, Ave, Belfast and various venues convenient for the client and will involve:
* working one to one with terminally ill clients, providing the personal guidance and support often needed to decide the content of the book they want to leave behind for their children;
* Arranging appointments with the client;
* Working with the client to gather the information in whatever venue is suitable for them – home, hospital or hospice;
* Transcribing, editing and organising the transcript and putting the book together.
You should be 25 or over and will need:-
- To have experience working with the very sick or those receiving end of life care;
- Counselling skills are helpful, though not essential, but you will need excellent communication and interpersonal skills and previous experience in a people focused role – either through work or other voluntary role;
- The ability to stay objective in an emotional situation while remaining empathetic;
- Access to a car;
- Good time management, organisational and administrative skills;
- Computer literate.